Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Redo: 1976 Sewing Box

Do you guys remember the sewing box I bought when we had our Thrift Saturday outing? The ugly '70's orange fabric with the gross brown legs? No? Let me refresh your memory.

IMG_0482


$9.99. I knew it had to be mine even before I saw the price.

IMG_0495

After many weekends of traveling, baby showers, and Fantasy Football draft parties, I was finally able to go and pick out the fabric to start on this project. The moment I saw this fabric I was in love. The pattern is so light and dainty. Huge contrast to what was originally on it.

IMG_0500


IMG_0504


IMG_0534

This was a tough job! So tough I had to hire help.


I ended up cutting the fabric with a seam allowance thinking I'd stitch the edges, but I ended up just ironing them down instead. Worked out just fine.

IMG_0507

I used some spray adhesive and a staple gun to secure the fabric on the box.

IMG_0508

I removed the lid and used the original fabric as a pattern when I cut the new fabric out. The inside of the lid had a cardboard piece that fit perfectly to cover up the staples after I tacked down the fabric. I used Heat'n'Bond to secure the fabric on the cardboard, then made a stitch around the outside of the cardboard piece. It not only secured the fabric, but gave it a nice decorative edge.

IMG_0526

I originally picked out a silver "ribbon" to finish off the box and to cover up the staples. But once I held it up, it looked cheesy. So I ended up buying a silver cording that I felt looked much better.

IMG_0538

Using a glue gun, I attached the cording to each staple all the way around.

Here she is totally finished!

IMG_0541

I plan on using it for extra fabric, well, for awhile at least. Right now this is all of the extra fabric I have. I'm sure the pile will grow :)

IMG_0545


Oh yeah, Kenya "assisted" which usually means laying either under, on or in whatever I'm working on.
IMG_0537

P.S. I am participating in A Soft Place To Land's DIY Day now that I am back in the blog world again. Go check it out!



kristinasig

13 comments:

Queen Bee said...

It looks great! You made it look easy.
Good job!
Missy

Jennifer said...

Yay! So pretty! :)

Zeemaid said...

wow what an amazing job. Just goes to show anything can be refreshed. Great tutorial!

Momma Michie said...

Wow, that is a masterpiece! I love the fabric you used!

Liz said...

I have a can of spray adhesive and I always forget to use it!!! Love the way your sewing box turned out, it looks fab!

~ Liz
www.itsgreattobehome.net

Averill said...

Wonderful job as always, Kristina! I just stuff all my spare fabric into a Target bag...but your solution is far more glamorous!

Gwen said...

Your transformation gave it a whole new life and a pretty one at that. I especially like your helpers:)

Jen R. said...

This turned out so cool!

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

It looks fantastic. You did an amazing job, I'll be linking. I just love Kenya's eyes. They're incredible!

Britt said...

That looks great! I love the fabric you used, too. Pretty!

The French Bear said...

That turned out beautiful!!!! WOW, I am so impressed, what a great job you did!!! You can come and do mine now!!!!!
Happy weekend to you!
Hugs,
Margaret B

slmpetersen said...

I love the revamp! I found you through One Pretty Thing! I'll be back.

Bluebell said...

Love the revamp, looks fab. You made it look so easy too :)

(PS I also found you through One Pretty Thing!)